Friday, October 14, 2005

Groceries List

Yes, I must remember to put Oliviana on my list - that's the margarine made of olive oil. Basic Foods at Gerrard Square, so it's a long walk for Oliviana.

And I need that dark-red tipped lettuce (the red says there's iron in it, and I need some of that). Another BF item.

No lettuce on hand rite now for my sandwiches, you know with tomato and baloney (okay, spell that "bologna" - should I call it "blogogna" - but then you get into Gog and Magog). Check the corner convenience store for Schneider's 100% Beef baloney that the owner has been getting in, on my suggestion (I actually washed the plastic packaging all-labelled and took that with me to the store and showed it to the lady of the family, behind the counter that day ... they're from Sri Lanka. Well, they've already sold out their first order of baloney (3 packages, she said last time I looked), leaving in their fridge only that chicken baloney substitute that the supplier pggy-backed on her order, my suggestion. Yuck.

Then there's the hunt in the triple-stacked bins tucked into the shelves of Aisle 3 at BF, the bins being the gimmick they use to keep the tins of tuna and and other canned meats so that they don't have to be neatly stacked. I go to the bins for the Equality brand, it's the cheapest at BF, but I only like this brand's tuna when it's packed in water a-n-d of the variety "Light Chunk Style." Can't stand the "Flaked" variety, but too often the "Chunk" cans when you get them home actually open to reveal mostly flakes anyway. False advertizing, Equality!, low-brow brand of Basic Foods, low-brow subsidiary of Atlantic & Pacific food-oligarchocorporation. But thank you for getting the All-Natural Peanut Butter onto the shelves so voluminously - after I launched my one-man campaign to thwart the hi-sugar brands monopoly on your shelves!

Two days back, I bawt some stuff, not to duplicate today:

√ green peppers (2)
√ broccoli (2 stems with flowerettes)
√ salmon portion freeze-packs ($10 a package)
√ Dempster's Enriched White Bread
√ bananas for breakfast with my Oatmeal (1-Minute Quaker)
√ Gold Seal tuna (no Equality brand tins available in the bins)
√ sardines (2 tins, tabasco-pack only, the other varieties have lousey tastes, but with the tabasco you actually get 2 tabasco pods in each tin)

That's all I can remember.

O yeah, go to the convenience story first, to check out the 2% Milk supply (Sealtest), check date stamp as the milk in these cartons goes bad before I can use up the whole contents for my daily Oatmeal breakfasts (with a sliced banana and a shake of cinammon). And check out the Schneider's all-beef baloney; avoid the individually-wrapped cheese-slices to add to sandwiches, as the off-brand they carry tastes offal - hmm, buy a Kraft individually-wrapped pack of slices at BF, save the packaging after using the single-wrap slices on sandwiches, and then wash the package, and take it to the owner of the corner store. Likewise, make a move to get the large plain Quaker Oatmeal packages on the shelves, instead of the little boxes of little packets of Apple Oatmeal, and Whatnot Oatmeal, but no Banana Oatmeal.

Oh yeah, at BF., get some fresh packs of spinach.